My brother in law got me What’s New, Cupcake? for my birthday, and there was an adorable moose cupcake in the book. And since his birthday is roughly two weeks after mine, and he has a soft spot for moose, I thought what better way to try out my cupcake skillz?
- Twinkies (nose)
- mini M&Ms (eyes)
- chocolate covered sunflower seeds (nostrils)
- chocolate melting wafers (antlers)
- Tootsie rolls (ears)
- generous amount of frosting
- Make cupcakes. I just made a box of regular yellow cake mix.
- Melt the chocolate melting wafers in a piping bag (or ziploc), and make yourself as many pairs of antlers you want. I made 8 pairs to be on the safe side.
- Take Twinkies, lay them on their side, so the flat side is facing you, and cut at an 11 o’clock angle, 2/3 of the way in. The bigger side (the right side) is what will become the nose. What to do with the dinky little piece that’s left? I’ll get to that later.
- Adhere the Twinkies to the cupcakes with frosting. Be generous, you want those suckers to stay put!
- Chill naked cupcakes. I tried the next step without chilling, and no bueno.
- Take about 2/3 of a can of chocolate frosting, put into a microwave safe measuring cup, and heat at 30 second intervals. Stirring and checking every 30 seconds for a good dipping consistency. Not too runny though! You’ll most likely have frosting left over, so take the discarded ends of the Twinkies, and dip ’em. Chocolate covered Twinkies (aka Chocodiles)!!
- Dip cupcakes. Since the cupcakes were so top heavy, I used a spoon to handle the weight of the Twinkie.
- Chill again. Seriously.
- While the cupcakes chill, make the little moose ears with the Tootsie rolls. I found that 1 Tootsie roll per pair of ears worked. The heat from your hands will make the Tootsie roll manageable. It took me a few tries, and I ended up more Tootsie rolls than I care to admit..
- Now adorn your moose. Stick in the antlers and ears. Attach the eyes and nostrils with some frosting, and pipe on some hair, beard, and even a smile.
These cupcakes are a sugar overload, so I only made 6, and made the rest of my cupcakes into a ‘forest’. Just good ole white frosting with green sprinkles.